Do you know how to make a plasma cutter at your home? If you are not aware of this fact, then this is high time you’ve tried something truly interesting. Wanna be engineers will find it amazing once they’ve done the project successfully. The most interesting thing about making a very small yet effective plasma cutter at your home is that, you have all the apparatuses required for making this plasma cutter at your home right now!
What is a meant by a mini plasma cutter?
For your convenience, a mini plasma cutter is nothing like a dedicated machine but this guide will make you learn about something you can make at your home easily. You’ll need a set of apparatuses though in order to make the plasma cutter. However, plasma is referred to the arc of fire that is to maintain while cutting metal sheets. A plasma cutter is what that cuts metal precisely rater than using scissors.
Although plasma cutters differ from type to type, from rating to requirements but their main working principle is the same in all that is to cut metal sheets precisely. However, lets move forward to learn how to make a plasma cutter at your home.
Things you’ll require:
There are a few things that you’ll require while preparing a homemade plasma cutter. Don’t worry because the things you’ll require will surely be available in your home. Get these things at your vicinity first- a charger (with DC output and rated up to 20+ volts if possible), a pencil leads (not too long not too short, best if it is HB and 0.7mm in diameter), copper wires of small diameters and short length, enough tape, metal sheet (best if you can collect any foil paper), and AC power source.
How to make a plasma cutter with these?
Follow the following steps in order to make the plasma cutter completely-
- Firstly, take the DC adapter and connect two wires at the two output terminals of the adapter output jack. After you’ve connected both the terminals with copper wires, fix tape rigidly around the connections so that the connections don’t get loose easily.
- Take one of the strongest HB pencil leads. After you’ve taken it on your hand, break it down to one third of the original pencil lead length. This will somewhat increase the lead strength while cutting. After you’ve broken the lead, connect one end of the pencil with copper wire and wound it good. Make the wounds enough tight so that the wire holds the pencil lead quite strongly. Or you can easily use conductive playar in order to hold the pencil lead.
- Connect the pencil to the positive part of the adapter output wire and the foil paper (which will be plasma cut) with the negative terminal of the adapter output wire. Put the adapter voltage at 20+ (DC) if possible and then connect the adapter to the general home power sources.
- Now hold the wire that holds the pencil lead. Scroll and scratch the lead down to the foil paper and you’ll see that the paper is being cut to the places where it is touching the paper.
What is the principle working behind this?
Pencil lead is connected with the positive terminal and the foil paper is connected with the negative terminal out of the adapter terminals. Hen these two portions get in contact, the electrical circuit gets completed and thus the connection point gets heated. The heat is high above the melting point of the foil paper but not the pencil, which is solely made up of carbon. That is why the pencil lead remains almost the same but the foil paper melts down which ultimately seems like you are cutting the foil paper down very easily. That is the game behind all what you’ve done!!
Safety measures before making such a plasma cutter and using it:
Before you proceed to make the homemade plasma cutter, make sure you remind the following terms-
- Make sure you connect the final power source at the last that is, after each and everything you’ve done with the plasma cutter making.
- When you are taping the wires round to the adapter output jack, make sure the connections are connected and then you put tape around it. Also don’t forget to wound the tape strongly so that connections are tight.
- While plasma cutting down the foil paper, prefer not to touch the foil paper and the pencil lead directly. Although it is DC power but the magnitude of the power level can shock you quite vibrantly.
You can see this video for detail : ( Source: Youtube)
When you have all the things at your home then why not make something this interesting? Making such a plasma cutter at home will not only give you idea about cutting thick metal sheets in industries but also will enhance your knowledge in order to develop it further. If you haven’t done this yet, then go now, start the procedure after you know how to make a plasma cutter at home!