There are different types of plasma cutters available in the market but do you know how to use a cnc plasma cutter. Most probably, cnc types ones are the most expensive plasma cutters available in the market. Therefore, in order to use such a plasma cutter, you better know how to operate such a massive machine precisely and get served accordingly.
What is a cnc plasma cutter & what it does?
Like every other plasma cutters, cnc plasma cutters have the same principal of cutting thick metal sheets. Plasma cutters are the best option to cut thick to thickest steel sheets very fruitfully yet finely. The main difference that lies in a cnc plasma cutter unlike any other typed plasma cutters lies in the presence of a computer in it. CNC stands for- Computer Numerical Control. This sort of plasma cutter is used to cut metal sheets, which are commanded by computer attached to it.
Due to the presence of a computer control, cutting is much more precise and pinpoint. That is predominantly why manufacturing companies and industries, tailoring and fabricating, production of goods, etc. companies use cnc plasma cutters frequently. In addition to that, cutting of heavy-duty materials have been possible to put in queue so that extra manpower isn’t charged. There are lot more other facilities a cnc plasma cutter can serve. In this guide, you’ll get familiar with the simplest ways of how to use a cnc plasma cutter.
Prerequisites of using a cnc plasma cutter:
Cnc plasma cutter is one of the very few types, which requires greater attention than any other in the initial period. Although it is computer operated, but you need to make sure that each and every section is well ready before going live in operation. In order to do that, you’ll need to find out a few things like-
- Check the power requirements out and out. Make 3-phase connection and one-phase connection for according plasma cutters. Also, make sure that you’ve connected the plasma cutter with uninterrupted power supply that is so-called as UPS. In case of power failure while cutting, this will back it up and continue cutting to the last. Otherwise, cutting might get undone or imprecise.
- Make sure that the metal cutting specimen is rigidly clamped to the corners of the table. If you don’t, then the specimen might get unstable and move away from the position it was initially. As a result. Your cutting will be haphazard although you’ve planned through the computer. Therefore, clamping is second most important task in using a cnc plasma cutter.
- Keep away from the machine while operation. If possible, then use a glass door in-between you and the machine while operation. This is better because the plasma arc spreads UV rays to and fro, which is highly damaging to human body cells. It kills red blood cells and slowly deteriorates health conditions. Scientists have observed that 10-13% of the workers in such conditions attain problems after 35-40 years of age.
How to use a cnc plasma cutter:
Now comes the main part of this guide. When you are ready will all the criterions done, then its time to hit the on button. You’ll need to follow a series of steps in order to use such a massive machine-
- Along with the cnc plasma cutter, you’ll be provided with a plasma cutting software compatible with the machine. You’ll need to install the program and learn the software using the manual or hands on in practicing with lower graded material.
- Make a precise plan of your cutting. Fix the X & Y axis of the board into the computer software that are simultaneously the length and the breadth of the table (on which the cutting is to take place). Finally fix the magnitudes of the Z-axis, which is the laser beam on the board. This is mainly the cutting thickness of the material or the portion of the material to cut. This has to be fixed with perfect measurements. You can use practical scales and tapes to measure your dimensions of cutting.
- When you are ready before hitting the CUT button, you’ll have to check the overall arrangement again. This is to make sure if the process will go correctly or not.
- If you don’t want to use the moving part of the laser, you can even just use the laser. All you’ll need to do is to program the plasma arc at one single point and then use bare hand on the table to move the specimen accordingly. But you need to be very careful at such situations. Generally this isn’t recommended although the task is short.
You may see some videos below for detail ( Source: Youtube)
When you are up to using a cnc plasma cutter, it is highly recommended that you read the manual of this machine thoroughly. This will make you aware of the nuts and bolts of the machine with its available options. If you need to make the best use of the machine, then you’ll need to learn how to use a cnc plasma cutter and then go for industrial applications as required.